Wednesday, July 21, 2010

And one more from Maxwell...

As we've talked in Advanced Preaching Class at QTC about "sticking to the big idea," it's really the same thing we call "making your point." In his book Everyone Communicates, Few Connect, John Maxwell says:
Anytime you're getting ready to hear someone speak, if it takes him a long time to get to the point, you know you're in trouble. Winston Churchill once said about a colleague, "He is one of those orators who, before he gets up, does not know what he is going to say; when he is speaking, does not know what he is saying; and when he has sat down, doesn't know what he has said..."
All good communicators get to the point before their listeners start asking "What's the point?" To do that, one must start out already knowing what the point is... obviously, the time to start thinking about the reason for your communicaiton is before you begin to speak."
I'd go further. It's before you begin to write your talk... or, if you're going to just use brief notes rather than a script, before you start mapping it out. Decide where you're heading, then work out how you're going to get there. 

1 comment:

  1. I think that's good advise from Maxwell/Churchill.

    I know myself when this happened. It's when I've been at a gathering. And someone expected me to speak. just a few words, But really I had nothing good to say. I stumbled and mumbled over my words. But when I've been prepared it's different. Even when I've only a few minutes notice. Just anticipating that someone might expect me to speak. And in those few moments I've thought through what I want to say. Thought about what that one or two points I want to say. Then, I've found myself to do a far better job.

    So like it was said. Be clear on the matter well before sharing the matter.

    ReplyDelete