Thursday, July 22, 2010

Don't be a wimp

I have heard this advice twice this week in two different contexts relating to visual design, and it started me thinking. Robyn Williams, in The Non Designers Design Book says the secret to good design is bold contrast. "Don't be a wimp" is her advice. Make the bold REALLY bold. Make the contrast really zing. We got the same advice from an interior designer friend who was looking over our bathroom redesign plans. "Don't be a wimp" was her key advice. No lame half measures with a small area of colour. Be definite and make a splash.
So I wonder what happens if we apply the same rules to preaching. Is it possible to be vividly emphatic without being corny? Loud without being aggressive, then soft without disengaging? Again, I think Mark Driscoll does this really well. Of course, context always counts. If you're preaching in a small room to 20 people, you'll be more constrained than on a large stage. But the same advice will still apply... Don't be a wimp.

3 comments:

  1. I'd be on board with the idea in the way that your friends have phrased it. I like "don't be a wimp", because it means that you'll put the emphasis, colour, etc that the passage calls for into your talk. You're not scared to do what's necessary.

    As you've said, that doesn't necessitate going over the top. That said, for those who too often let fear shrink their voice, gestures and inflection, "don't be a wimp" may mean going outside their comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard. Sometimes I wish I was preaching at one of those Black American Churches: "PREACH IT BROTHER!". Instead I'm usually faced with blank looks and limp handshakes at the door (even had someone glance at the clock on the wall on Sunday). Last time I went over-the-top, saying very loudly that the listeners had CRU-CI-FIED their sinful nature (Gal 5), Tracey winced and hunkered down in her pew. Lord, give me a heart that fears you more than it fears men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder which causes the more damage - being a 'happy clappy' or a 'frozen chosen'? In my head I'm naturally a cynic and suspicious, but in my heart I long for relationship and want a greater connection with my emotions. I wonder if we lack adventure and colour in our sermons because we're scared of the mess ... scared of upsetting someone ... uncomfortable with the emotional response. Are our churches too clean - too clinical and 'professional' (BW would love me saying that) such that we're scared of causing a mess? If church was more like family, it would be more messy. But it would be a place we could dare to be ourselves ... and perhaps more colourful.

    ReplyDelete